Question about zeroLength curvature

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

BLJ

Question about zeroLength curvature

Post by BLJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello, I have a question about zeroLength element. I know that the curvature is the inverse radius of a beam section. But what the curvature is for zeroLength element. If I define the moment-curvature property of a zeroLength element, is the curvature here the relative rotation between two nodes of the zeroLength element? Then how to define it? thank you.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm

the zeroLength element takes a material which provides the force-deformation relationship .. there is no moment-curvature relationship provided, as you point out it has no length.

songlianglong

zero-length

Post by songlianglong » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:10 am

[quote="fmk"]the zeroLength element takes a material which provides the force-deformation relationship .. there is no moment-curvature relationship provided, as you point out it has no length.[/quote]
the force here refer to what?

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 am

when a uniaxial material is used in a zeroLength element, the material provides the relationship between global forces at the two nodes and the displacement at the nodes.

when used in a fiber-section, the material provides the stress-strain relationship for a fiber at a point in the section.

songlianglong

zero-length element

Post by songlianglong » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:42 am

[quote="fmk"]when a uniaxial material is used in a zeroLength element, the material provides the relationship between global forces at the two nodes and the displacement at the nodes.

when used in a fiber-section, the material provides the stress-strain relationship for a fiber at a point in the section.[/quote]
how can i get the moment-theta relationship in the section where the zerolengthsection element is defined?what is different when i get the moment-theta relationship in a sectioon of another element (such as a elastic element etc. ) is defined?