NDMATERIAL

A forum dedicated to users with questions regarding soil materials and elements.

forum currently locked

Moderator: Moderators

bmobashe

NDMATERIAL

Post by bmobashe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody knows that ndmaterial in opensees works only in compression or both tension and compression. I know these material are for the soil modeling and soil just works in compression. But I just want to make sure about it.

Thanks,
Bahareh

bmobashe

Re: NDMATERIAL

Post by bmobashe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 pm

I also want to know how I can see the source code for these type of materials in Opensees. I appreciate if someone can help me with that.

kyonten

Post by kyonten » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm

There are non-soil materials in NDMaterial, e.g. J2 plasticity model for metals. For the soil models some tensile load is allowed, if the soil has some cohesion which can be specified in the multi-surface model and the Drucker-Prager model in OpenSees.

bmobashe

Post by bmobashe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right some of the NDmaterial are not only for soil. I am using nDMaterial PressureIndependMultiYield which is only for soil. Does it also work in tension??? Because I am trying to connect my pile cap to the soil with using Equal degree of freedom command in z direction, and tension can cause problem for me. Thank you again for your help.

Bahareh

gerber

Post by gerber » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am

Hi,
I am trying to analyze a concrete inframed shear wall and i would like to use Plane Stress Concrete Materials .
But, there is a warning in opensees wiki ( <<AT PRESENT CODE AS SUBMITTED DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK .. LOOK AT CONVERGENCE IN EXAMPLE>> ) for FAReinforceConcretePlaneStress .
However , there is no warning for Reinforced Concrete Plane Stress material object based on Rotating Angle theory with steel along four directions.
I don`t know what does "steel along four directions" mean !?!?!
Any idea about these material will be wellcome!!!

Thanks,

omarzano

Post by omarzano » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 am

bmobashe wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right some of the NDmaterial are not
> only for soil. I am using nDMaterial PressureIndependMultiYield which is
> only for soil. Does it also work in tension??? Because I am trying to
> connect my pile cap to the soil with using Equal degree of freedom command
> in z direction, and tension can cause problem for me. Thank you again for
> your help.
>
> Bahareh

Yes Bahareh,

since the PressureIndependMultiYield has a VonMises type Yield surface, it should work also in tension.

omar