Error while Running Excavation Simulation: Pl explain

A forum dedicated to users with questions regarding soil materials and elements.

forum currently locked

Moderator: Moderators

sb1966

Error while Running Excavation Simulation: Pl explain

Post by sb1966 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 am

Dear All,
I tried to run the file Excavation.tcl from the wiki page "Excavation Supported by Cantilevered Sheet Pile Wall". ("http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... ysis_Phase") and got the following error:
===============
Finished creating all -ndf 2 soil nodes...
Finished creating all -ndf 2 boundary conditions...
Finished creating all -ndf 2 nodes...
WARNING count not create nDMaterial: InitialStateAnalysisWrapper
==========================================

Would some one explain the error ? I am using OpenSees 2.2.2 (latest revision (4457)from svn page). The link to "InitialStateAnalysisWrapper" in the wiki are found empty. Where can I get the details of the command "nDMaterial InitialStateAnalysisWrapper 1 5 2" ? What do these numbers 1,5,2 signify ?
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------
With Regards,
sb1966

mcganncr

Re: Error while Running Excavation Simulation: Pl explain

Post by mcganncr » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 pm

That error means that the InitialStateAnalysisWrapper nDMaterial object doesn't exist in your build of OpenSees. It was added to the svn project in revision 4452, so if your local version is at revision 4457, then I'm guessing that your compiler didn't know to include it. I'm working in a Linux environment, so the Makefiles are up-to-date for compiling there, but if you are working on Windows or Mac, then you may have to add it to your project or otherwise let your compiler know to include it, then re-compile.

If you are running from the latest executable version of OpenSees, then the InitialStateAnalysisWrapper is not going to work. The next release will have it, but until then you will continue to get that error. I haven't written the documentation up on the Wiki for this reason. I'll get it up there once the new release is available, but I can summarize here. It works like this:

nDMaterial InitialStateAnalysisWrapper $matTag $mainMatTag $numDimensions

$matTag is the unique tag identifying the wrapper material, in the example $matTag = 1 and this is the material tag associated with the elements
$mainMatTag is the unique tag identifying the primary material object, in the example the primary material tag is 5, so $mainMatTag = 5
$numDimensions is the number of dimensions in the problem and can be 2 or 3, the example is a 2D analysis, so $numDimensions = 2

Chris McGann
University of Washington

sb1966

Re: Error while Running Excavation Simulation: Pl explain

Post by sb1966 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:14 am

Dear Chris,
Thanks a lot for your reply and explanation of the command. BTW I am using Linux (Fedora 5 in an old machine).

Regards
----------------------------------
With Regards,
sb1966