stdbrick and brick8N

A forum dedicated to users with questions regarding soil materials and elements.

forum currently locked

Moderator: Moderators

afuribe0

stdbrick and brick8N

Post by afuribe0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Greetings.

I have the following problem: I want to use the NDmaterial Template with stdbrick or bbarbrick element and the opensees fails, is there any incompatibility? my second question is the following: when I use the element brick8N how do I analyze the gravity loads? why using stdbrick and the bbarbrick the gravity analysis doesn't have any problem? what is the difference between the trilinear isoparametrical formulation (stdbrick) and the formulation of tensorial operators (brick8N)?

Thanks for your help.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm

you can't use the Template material with the std and bbbar brick .. you have to use boris's brick8n .. your problem might be the node numbering, he choose to use the inverse numbering scheme to the std and bbar bricks .. i doubt if there is any difference between the formulations other than the fact the programming it using tensors is supposedly easier .. though i could be wrong.

i apologize for the lack of interoperability .. sometimes it proves rather impossible to get everyone to work in the same system .. this is especially true when large amounts of code have been written and nobody will budge on modifying one code to fit the other.