OpenSees Version 2.1:mass density of soil

A forum dedicated to users with questions regarding soil materials and elements.

forum currently locked

Moderator: Moderators

subrata

OpenSees Version 2.1:mass density of soil

Post by subrata » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 am

Hi,
I am analyzing soil-pile interaction problem in OpenSees 2.1.0. In this version mass density definition in quad element is excluded. Therefore, I have to define nodal mass using -mass command to consider soil mass during dynamic analysis. However, it is cumbersome to define nodal mass since I have 5000 elements in my model and also sizes of quad elements are varying.

Is there any simple command in OpenSees Version 2.1.0 which can be used to consider soil mass?

Thanks in advance,
Subrata

avytin

Post by avytin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:18 am

the density is defined in the material model definition rather than in the quad. If it is specified in the material then you are ok!

subrata

Post by subrata » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks Avytin. I am using nDmaterial elastic where only modulus of elasticity E and poisson's Ratio have to be specified. In that case what should I do?
Thanks,
Subrata

avytin

Post by avytin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:57 am

you can specify it after the poisson's ratio:

nDMaterial ElasticIsotropic 40000 282400 0.412 1.75

I think it might not be on the manual but if you take a look at the code the option is there.

Good luck!

aminasareh

Post by aminasareh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi

In the pressure dependent and independent material you have $massdens, which is the density of soil.

nDMaterial PressureDependMultiYield 2 2 $massDen $G $B $fangle .1 80 0.5 \
$ptangle 0.17 0.4 10 10 0.015 1.0
M.A.Asareh

happen165

ED Hardy Bikinis

Post by happen165 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:17 pm

[url=http://www.bikinis-2011.com/ed-hardy-bikinis-2011-35-p-222.html][img]http://www.bikinis-2011.com/images/ed-hardy-bikinis-2011/ed-hardy-bikinis-2011-35.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.bikinis-2011.com/ed-hardy-bikinis-2011-35-p-222.html]Ed Hardy Bikinis[/url] 2011 35

Mers don’t want to feel exploited; they just want to feel genuinely accepted (sexually and otherwise) by both gamers and non-gamers alike. I’m not so sure that bikini-clad women bouncing on beach balls while playing Dead Rising, a woman faking an orgasm while also faking a game of Pong,[url=http://www.bikinis-2011.com/ed-hardy-bikinis-c-3.html]ED Hardy Bikini[/url], and “booth babe” culture in general are helping us to get closer to that feeling. I think we’d be better off focusing less on models trying to sell us on the idea that they’re gamers,[url=http://www.bikinis-2011.com/billabong-bikinis-c-57.html]Billabong Bikini[/url], and focusing more on relating to each other. That said, I don’t claim to have all the answers.

GooRkant

Live

Post by GooRkant » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:46 am

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

larrymaroudis592

Re: OpenSees Version 2.1:mass density of soil

Post by larrymaroudis592 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi there, I am new to this thread and I'm still in the process of sinking in my mind the post and details that you shared. I am willing to learn and follow some of the things that I think can help me especially with regards to this topic.

andylith

Post by andylith » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:09 am

Whats different between Version 2.1.0 and 2.0.0

The interpreter is now based on Tcl version 8.5 instead of version 8.4. The main advantage this provides to OpenSees users is:
The tcl part of the code is now approx. 10% faster.
New min, max and ** (pow) operators.
New in and ni for checking membership of lists, e.g. if {$item in $list} { ..}
New dictionary data type. These are like tcl arrays (hash tables) but allow s pass by value instead of by reference.
New {*} syntax to avoid abusive use of eval which is often used when you have a list of seperate things that needs to be passed as paramaters.
And many more. see http://wiki.tcl.tk/10630
For users and developers there is a new mechanism for including outside material and element routines. These routines can be written in C++, C or Fortran and can be dynamically linked at runtime through use of .dll's on windows, .dylib on mac and .so on linux. This means people can share new materials and elements without the need to compile and link with OpenSees or w/o having to submit their code to the OpenSees repository. Mechanisms willl be set up to alert users as to what elements and materials are available outside the core interpreter.
New eleResponse command to get information from an element during the analysis. args similar to element recorder. Results returned in a list.
Modified nodeDisp, nodeVel and nodeAccel commands. If no dof specified list returned for all dof values.
New sectionForce eleTag? sectNum? dof? to return a section force.
New eleNodes command to return nodes at an element. (eleNodes eleTag?)
New getEleTags and getNodeTags commands to return in a list all ele and node tags.
New command to set the setElementRayleighDampingFactors to set an individual elements damping factors.
New command searchPeerNGA which returns a list of earthquakes from the Peer NGA database.
Users can obtain acceleration records from PeerNGS using modified TimeSeries command PeerNGAMotion $record $fact -dt dtName? -nPts nPtsName? The number of data points and dt are placed in the variables nPtsName and dtName.
New Py, Tz, and Qz materials for shallow foundations and new command for generating a shallow foundation (thanks to P. Raychowdhury (UCSD)
We continue to work on the reliability parts of the code.
And of course the minor bug fixes and performance enhancements.

LSMonline

Post by LSMonline » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:25 am

Sorry, but I think they are wrong. I can defend the position. Write in the afternoon, we will.

tylerehrman598

Post by tylerehrman598 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Thank you so much for this fact idea that you've shared with us. I really had a great time.

emanueletrainini

Re:

Post by emanueletrainini » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 am

subrata wrote:
> Thanks Avytin. I am using nDmaterial elastic where only modulus of
> elasticity E and poisson's Ratio have to be specified. In that case what
> should I do?
> Thanks,
> Subrata

I hope I'm not wrong but I have seen a textbox where you can specify it after the poisson's ratio. Just let me check again. I had the same problem and it drived me crazy.
Emanuele Trainini, architetto :: Brescia
Progettazione | Certificazione Energetica
Denunce di Successione | Pratiche catastali

waqasomer

Post by waqasomer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:21 pm

It is rare for me to find something on the cyberspace that’s as entertaining and fascinating as what you’ve got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s more, you use source that are relevant to what you are talking about. You are certainly one in a million, well done!