Ability to compile newer version of OpenSeesSP

This forum is for issues related to parallel processing
and OpenSees using the new interpreters OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP

Moderator: selimgunay

ParallelUser

Ability to compile newer version of OpenSeesSP

Post by ParallelUser » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:17 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to compile a newer version of OpenSeesSP? I'd like to use parallel processing capabilities for a single, large model on my Windows machine.

It is my understanding that the last prebuilt version of OpenSeesSP is an older OpenSees Version 2.5.0 (which is rather out of date, as the current version is 3.5.0). The OpenSeesSP project file on GitHub also seems to be rather old, as it was last touched 7 years ago.

Currently, I think I have this older (version 2.5.0) OpenSeesSP binary (that is posted online here: https://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/ ... rallel.php) working on my Windows 11 machine (after a lot of struggling to get MPICH2 configured properly). However, now that I am able to run OpenSeesSP, I'm wondering if there's a way to compile a newer binary of OpenSeesSP.

Cheers,

mhscott

Re: Ability to compile newer version of OpenSeesSP

Post by mhscott » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:17 pm

You may want to try a virtual machine with OpenSeesSP already pre-compiled for Tcl and Python:
https://secondsees.com/opensees-ami-usage-instructions/

Even though it runs on LInux, you can access the virtual machine from Windows.

ParallelUser

Re: Ability to compile newer version of OpenSeesSP

Post by ParallelUser » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:43 am

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

Can you tell me if the pre-compiled OpenSeesSP (TCL) version is more recent? It seems from the link you've provided, there is either the option of using OpenSeesMP (in TCL form, which requires the user to manually split the model between processors) or a multi-processor version of OpenSeesPy (by executing on a linux virtual machine).

However, I'm not seeing any mention of OpenSeesSP in the link you've provided. (I think I'd like to use OpenSeesSP, since it automatically partitions the analysis between processors, but I've seen version 2.5.0 of OpenSeesSP.)