A comprehensive solution to UpdateMaterialStage error

This forum is for issues related to parallel processing
and OpenSees using the new interpreters OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP

Moderator: selimgunay

mo_zarrin

A comprehensive solution to UpdateMaterialStage error

Post by mo_zarrin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 pm

URGENT ATTENTION IS REQUIRED FROM DR. FRANK:

I am going to simulate the seismic response of a 3D model of Jacket Type Offshore Platform with its 3d soil environment. According to its long piles (4 Piles), my model will contain approximately 100000 to 200000 solid 8 node SSPBrickUp elements. This is a huge model which requires at least 15 Gb of Ram and takes about 2 months of running time in a capable computer, which makes it even impossible to conduct.Therefore, the only way of running it is taking the advantages of Parallel Computing.
At the moment, I am in the verification phase of the project using OpenSeesSP. Unfortunately, every thing is running without any error except the UpdateMaterialStage command in OpenSeesSP.
I am going to use PDMY and PIMY material for soil constitutive behavior, BeamContact3D for interface between soil and pile and NonlinearBeamColumn elements for pile and structural members.

I have provided for you 3 examples of single pile model created with OpenseesPl software (Please find the attached rar file).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu378ozansmqa ... P.rar?dl=0

All these models works well in sequential run. The first of them is a small model (smodel0) which does not work at all using OpenSeesSP parallel. This is because of updateMaterials command. The second model (smodel1) is the same as the first one with the disabled "updateMaterials" command. This model works in parallel run which means that a small model works well in parallel version. The only thing that does not work in this model is "updateParameter" command.
The third of them (lmodel) is relatively a larger model of single pile which shows an UpdateMaterialStage error after the elastic gravity analysis.
WARNING: MaterialStageParameter::setDomain() - no effect with material tag ....
It seems that this command has a problem with domain decomposition when the model becomes large. It should be noted that this large model contains the materials,elements and analysis commands similar to the previous models and the only difference is the size of the model.
I have tried every thing to solve the problem, trying different solvers(SuperLU, Mumpus -INCTL 80, ....), different numbrer, different constraints and so on. Nothing could solve the problem.
Summary: 1- updateMaterials does not work. 2-UpdateMaterialStage error prevents the interpreter keep going. 3-updateParameter does not work, but, the analysis is going on.
All these 3 commands are useful and should be fixed to be working in OpenSeesSP, anyhow, among these, UpdateMaterialStage error is crucial and with this error the geotechnical simulations can't be done with OpenSeesSP.

Dear Frank, Please solve this issue asp.
Last edited by mo_zarrin on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mo_zarrin

Re: A comprehensive solution to UpdateMaterialStage error

Post by mo_zarrin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:02 pm

The link of 3 models are missing, here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu378ozansmqa ... P.rar?dl=0