OpenSeesSP on Windows 8

This forum is for issues related to parallel processing
and OpenSees using the new interpreters OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP

Moderator: selimgunay

Luisa

OpenSeesSP on Windows 8

Post by Luisa » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:42 am

Hi, I can't run neither 32-bit nor 64-bit OpenSeesSP on 64-bit windows 8! When I run 'mpiexec -np 4 OpenSeesSP model.tcl' it goes to the next command line without doing anything (actually I'm not receiving any errors, it does nothing however and simply goes to the next command line!) Meanwhile I don't have any problems with 64-bit windows 7 and can run OpenSeesSP on windows 7.
Is OpenSeesSP compatible with windows 8?! If so, how to fix this problem?! Thanks.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: OpenSeesSP on Windows 8

Post by fmk » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:32 am

OpenSees runs on windows 8. does mpiexec?

Luisa

Post by Luisa » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:05 am

yes it does! when I try "mpiexec -n 4 cpi" it works perfectly fine, but when I run "mpiexec -np 4 OpenSeesSP model.tcl" it goes to the next command line and nothing happens! could you tell me please what's the problem?!

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:17 am

have you the correct versions installed, all 32 or 64 bit?

i installed the 32 bit versions (OpenSeesMP/SP, Tcl, MPICHS2) on a new windows 8 image this morning and they work fine.

Ameri

Post by Ameri » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Luisa,

Unfortunately, it sometimes happens (I don't know why, but it does!). Anyway, if this is the case, and if neither 32-bit nor 64-bit versions work on your system, I encourage you to do as follows:

Firstly, run 'mpiexec -n 4 OpenSeesSP'. when you do so, it'll go to the next command line. Now try 'source $fileName.tcl' .. Hopefully it would work.
Ph.D. Student Researcher
Colorado State University
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
amerikmr@engr.colostate.edu

Luisa

Post by Luisa » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:45 pm

dr Mckenna: yes i have. mine is 64 bit however!
ameri: thank you, in this way I can run it! although I get an error and I've asked about it in another topic.

StephanGottschalk

Post by StephanGottschalk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 am

It’s a good idea to set the Path variable to see the c:\ProgramFiles\MPICH2\bin directory.
• These are the steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel
2. In Control Panel, click System
3. In System window, click Advanced
4. Click Environment Variables.
5. Depending on if you just want it for current User (User Variables for you) or all Users (System Variables) , click the appropriate Path variable to highlight it.
6. Click Edit.
7. Enter ;C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin at end
8. Click OK
9. Click OK
10. Test by entering echo %PATH% in a Command Prompt (DOS) window.

Luisa

Post by Luisa » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:49 am

StephanGottschalk: I did the process as you said, and it works. However, when I run "mpiexec -np 4 OpenSeesSP model.tcl" the only thing it does is going to the next command line without doing anything!
What Ameri said works (it SEEMS that it works!! In other words, it makes OpenSeesSP running, but I'm not sure if it's working properly, as I get an error while doing analysis. I've posted the error here: http://opensees.berkeley.edu/community/ ... =7&t=62057) Could be the source of the problem that I run OpenSeesSP in this way (as Ameri mentioned above)?!