Parallel Computing!

This forum is for issues related to parallel processing
and OpenSees using the new interpreters OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP

Moderator: selimgunay

AHARSHIAN

Parallel Computing!

Post by AHARSHIAN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 am

Dear Experts!

I am quite well in simulating with OpenSees (at least RC structures). However, I am working on large-detailed 3D models:

1441 Nodes, 504 Nonlinear BeamColumn Elements and 1296 ShellMITC4 Elements. Some larger models also exist!

I am curious about the SPEED of analysis in Parallel OpenSeesSP and OpenSeesMP. I have checked some of the lectures on parallel Computing in OpenSees and now my questions:

1) Please, give me an example to feel the advantage of shifting from OpenSees to OpenSeesSP/OpenSeesMP! (Speed of Analysis)

2) Does OpenSeesSP need knowledge of Parallel Computing/Parallel Machines? or it just needs some modifications in solver options, numberer and ...
3) In the lecture notes, I have seen some infromation regarding OpenSeesSP for Windows. Is there any for Linux since we have some powerfull computing-core in our institute which are running only on linux!

4) Does OpenSeesMP need knowledge of Parallel Computing (I think yes!)?
5) Does OpenSeesMP exist for linux?

I am sorry if I asked lots of questions,
Thank you in advance.

A.H.A
Best Regards,
A.H.Arshian

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Parallel Computing!

Post by fmk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am

1) if you do not have 2 many constraints you should see a spepdup of between 2 and 8.
2) no .. just change the solver type to Mumps
3) we release binaries for windows and mac, not for linux. most parallel usage is on linux clusters. hoever, given that the
configurations are all different, we cannot make a release for them all. help is provided in example Makefile's that have been used
to build on different machines.
4) it requires more knowledge than 1 .. the potential sppedup is greater.
4) see 3 above.

AHARSHIAN

Re: Parallel Computing!

Post by AHARSHIAN » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 am

Dear Dr. fmk,

Thanks for your completely clear response.

A.H.A
Best Regards,
A.H.Arshian