Suggestions for recorders

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

lydell.wiebe

Suggestions for recorders

Post by lydell.wiebe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

Hello,
Below are a few options that I haven't been able to find and that I think would be useful. If there are already ways of doing these things that I've simply missed, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.
Thanks,
Lydell

1. An EnvelopeDrift recorder element. (As far as I can tell, the only way of getting the peak drifts is by using the Drift Recorder and finding the maximum manually, since the difference between displacement envelopes at adjacent nodes is not equal to the drift envelope.)

2. A recorder element that outputs the result from the last timestep. The residual displacement of a system is an important parameter that seems to be available only by recording the full time-history. I wouldn't call it a Residual Recorder, since the user needs to be careful that the runtime is long enough for the dynamic response to damp out.

3. The option to have the recorder save only every nth timestep. Sometimes I run analyses with a finer timestep than is useful for graphical output, and I'd rather not have to save the full response. This could also be a roundabout way of dealing with number 2.

silvia

Post by silvia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 am

sorry for the late response, but you can specify the time step for the recorder output -- this works fine for time-history analysis.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104