Version reporting function

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

divamva

Version reporting function

Post by divamva » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:46 am

It may prove useful to have a function available in the Tcl interface that would report what version of openSEES is currently running. It will probably help to ensure that any structural model is running on an up-to-date version of OpenSEES, at least as up-to-date as it needs!

This should be incredibly simple to implement.

silvia

Post by silvia » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:02 pm

doesn't it say it on top???
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

Nero

Post by Nero » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:20 pm

silvia wrote:doesn't it say it on top???
I may be wrong, but I think what he means is the ability to grab the version while executing a script. That way you could compare the current version to any requirements the script has, and then output a warning/error if the version is too old.

Ex, if there was a command, "CurentVersion" that returned the current running version of OS:

Code: Select all

set ReqVersion 1.7
if { $ReqVersion > CurrentVersion } {
  puts "Warning: You must be running OpenSees 1.7 to run this script"
else {
  #execute analysis here.
}
Something like that.

divamva

Post by divamva » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:55 am

Thanks Nero, that is exactly what I mean. In this way you can send a script to your collegues and they will immediately receive the proper error (incorrect version of openSEES) rather than a cryptic error about a material model not being present.

Nero

Post by Nero » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:06 am

divamva wrote:Thanks Nero, that is exactly what I mean. In this way you can send a script to your collegues and they will immediately receive the proper error (incorrect version of openSEES) rather than a cryptic error about a material model not being present.
One problem I see is this- none of the past versions have this command, thus, they will end up with just a random error for the "CurrentVersion" command or whatever it would be. It'll be beneficial for the version that introduces the command, but would not be of any help to someone who has, say, v. 1.6