Two improvement requests

A forum dedicated to feature requests and the future direction of OpenSees, i.e. what would you like, what do you need, what should we explore

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

pbeng

Two improvement requests

Post by pbeng » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:09 am

Good Morning California :o)

During the last workshop Frank mentioned that he wished a consultant would run with OpenSees on a project. I've done that on two isolated structures now, one in Ottawa (Canada) and one in Connecticut.

GUI issues were handled with a translator to FEMAP, the pre/post processor I use in other work.

I used zerolength elements for isolators, they worked well. The major shortcoming for my applications were that their directional characteristics are uncoupled. For example, if a material yields at 10 kips, and I apply it in the X and Z directions, its resultant in the XZ plane will be more than 10 kips. Is there any way to add the capability to couple directions?

Second improvement suggestion, a geometry query/echo tool. Geometry had to be double programmed so to speak, once to input, once to puts (the print -node method is limited in format flexibility). Would be nice if one could just write a loop with an OOP method such as get Nd.ID, then format a file with ND.ID Nd.x Nd.y Nd.z

I've written a lumped mass script for elastic beam elements, will post it soon. Would be a nice addition if that capability were added as well.

Tip of the hat in thanks to Frank and Silvia for making this excellent software accessible...

Cheers,

Paul Bradford

silvia

Post by silvia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 am

Paul,
have you looked at BuldingTcl? please do and let me know what you think.
i will be adding isolator models once i have it running well.
Also, why not the zeroLengthND Element?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

silvia

Post by silvia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 am

or a zero-length section element?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

pbeng

Post by pbeng » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 am

Speed, simplicity, efficiency. The zerolength section approach I tried and got to work, but for reasons I can't recall rejected in favor of the zerolength uniaxial elements. The zerolengthND element; the desciption of the ND materials have the smell of complexity, a luxory I couldn't afford. In the context of a new and somewhat daunting fea package, simpler elements help.

The couple uniaxial material approach I think has a lot of promise. It's clear how the material behaves, debugging is easier, they run fast, a large libray can be built for various kinematic relationships. Some fea programs have a user input custom 1D material option, that'd be handy.

Also, a shout of thanks to the person who thought of the parallel material, having that capability helped tremendously.

Cheers...