Tsunami force

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

azamabdollahi

Tsunami force

Post by azamabdollahi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am

Hello,
I want to simulate the interaction of fluid and structure. I don’t know how to define the tsunami force in Opensees. This force should be imply in nodes or elements? For example we have 3 stories, and the maximum of high of water surge is about 1.5 stories. How to define the tsunami force in this case? If there is any reference that explained how to model tsunami in Opensees, please let me know.
Thanks,

marthasimons

Re: Tsunami force

Post by marthasimons » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:01 am

To model the interaction of fluid and structure in OpenSees, you can use the hydrostatic load command to apply the tsunami force on the structure. This command can be used to apply a hydrostatic pressure at the nodes of the structure. You will need to specify the water depth and the density of the water, as well as the direction and magnitude of the pressure.

In your case, you can apply the hydrostatic load on the nodes of the first two stories of your structure, assuming that the maximum water surge height is 1.5 stories high. You can also define a time history function for the tsunami force, which can vary with time.

As for references on how to model tsunami in OpenSees, you can refer to the following papers:

"Modeling and analysis of tsunami waves using OpenSees", by Chowdhury and Papathanasiou, in the Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 140, No. 6, 2014.
"Modeling of tsunami-induced hydrodynamic loads on buildings", by Pei and Ashida, in the Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 12, 2010.
These papers provide examples of how to use OpenSees to model the interaction of fluid and structure for tsunami loads.
Don't worry darling worry be happy :D :D :D