adding -cMass option in forceBeamColumn element

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

rafal

adding -cMass option in forceBeamColumn element

Post by rafal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:59 pm

The forceBeamColumn element is implemented with the lumped mass matrix. On the other hand dispBeamColumn has two options, when "-cMass" is added the consistent mass matrix is calculated instead. Are there any obstacles to implement similar -cMass in forceBeamColumn?

My first attempt was to modify ony ForceBeamColumn2d.h and .cpp files copying and adapting related code fragments from dispColumnBeam2d.cpp and .h files. However after compiling OpenSees, it does not work. It returns no error but somehow it gets into an infinite loop. Are there any other files than ForceBeamColumn2d.h and .cpp (assuming that for now I only need it for 2d elements) to modify in order to make OpenSees aware of this additional "-cMass" option to forceBeamColumn element.

rafal

Re: adding -cMass option in forceBeamColumn element

Post by rafal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 am

Finally I figured it out. Initally I modified only .cpp and .h files but also I should modify "SRC/element/forceBeamColumn/TclForceBeamColumnCommand.cpp" which was not so obvious at first. Eventually I changed also elasticForceColumn files and today I have sent an email to you and Michael with a patch file. Please review it. Thanks.