adding customized code

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

rinchen

adding customized code

Post by rinchen » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:05 pm

I want to incorporate sectorial coordinate (cross-section properties to take account of warping in thin-walled beams) with each of the fiber. For this, I want to write the code in which the cross-section information is to be obtained from TCL input file, determine the sectorial coordinates and assign to each fiber and pass to fibersection3d.cpp. The example given in OpenSees are only for adding material and elements. Since my code does not fall into either of this category, I am lost as to how to add my code in OpenSees to calculate the section properties and associate with each fiber in the fiber section. My question is - Is it possible to add the code that does not fall into material or element category and if so how to go about it? Your comments will be appreciated.

thanks

fmk
Site Admin

Re: adding customized code

Post by fmk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:04 pm

it is .. you will need to build the .exe as oppsed to a dll.

rinchen

Post by rinchen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Thank you for your response fmk. Sorry but I could not get your comments. I would appreciate if you could explain little bit more.

blaiman

Post by blaiman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 am

What he means is you have to really get your hands deep and pull the latest and greatest working source code from the database and be very careful in how you add in your modifications to incorporate warping. For instance, a colleague and I worked together a couple years back to incorporate warping and tapered effects for a displacement-based beam-column element. For this study, we had to not only modify the fiber section as you stated but also add in an extra DOF at each node of an element, forming a 14 DOF element formulation. This of course involves you modifying the TCL interpreter routines and codes as well as the codes that will process the calculations internally. Depending on your background with programming and source codes, it might take you from a week or so to a month to see how everything works together. Because you're going to make such drastic changes, you will have to build the actual executable file for OpenSees (i.e. - creating your own version of OpenSees in a way) using your compiler (e.g. - MSVS). Hope that helps clarify things a bit. Let me know if something wasn't too clear.
Brighton Laiman
Development Engineer
RISA Technologies
Foothill Ranch, CA

rinchen

Post by rinchen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 am

Many thanks Brighton for your clarification. I am somewhere down the line. The latest code did not work with my compiler. So I have to make do with the old version which runs fine. I created fiber section externally (in tcl) with warping assigned to it. As you have said, I do have 14 DoF in the element. So, I am more or less following your footstep.

Robertocrarswell

Post by Robertocrarswell » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:07 am

I know only that the harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System, also known as the Harmonized System (HS) of tariff nomenclature is an internationally standardized system of names and numbers to classify traded products.