new Element not working in 2.4.3

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

johnnyontheweb

new Element not working in 2.4.3

Post by johnnyontheweb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:33 am

[to fmk and anyone can help]
I developed a new element in fortran, that worked fine until version 2.4.2. Now with version 2.4.3 my new element (which is held in an external DLL) doesn't work anymore, no errors displayed and opensees.exe terminates. Debugging opensees.exe (with the trunk at rev 5621) I found out an access violation (sorry, cannot remember the file). What's happening?

Please help

fmk
Site Admin

Re: new Element not working in 2.4.3

Post by fmk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 am

you either need to stick with 2.4.2 or recompile the dll again after updating the code in DEVELOPER/core.

basically every now and again some of the abstract classes in OpenSees change. If this is the case the .dll and the .exe will have differing opinions as to size of the different class objects and memory layout. This causes problems when accessing parts of an object and leads to error you describe.

johnnyontheweb

Re: new Element not working in 2.4.3

Post by johnnyontheweb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 am

dear fmk
I cannot remain with 2.4.2 because I need some new features in 2.4.3.
The dll is a new element in fortran, so any file in DEVELOPER\core is used. The SAME PROBLEM happens with the latest code (5621 for 2.4.3) with the example TRUSSF.for ... can you update also the file elementAPI.f and elementTypes.f ?
thks a lot

ps
can I compile the same dll for the 64 bit version?