Why G coefficients different?

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

cemebrahim

Why G coefficients different?

Post by cemebrahim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 am

Hi to all, I want to know which Why G coefficients different?

set accelSeriesx "Series -dt 0.01 -filePath SanFernando1.txt -factor $g" ;
set accelSeriesx2 "Series -dt 0.01 -filePath 01-SanFernando-PGA=1.226g-dt=0.01-N=4164.txt -factor [expr (1.076/1.160)*$g*3]" ;
pattern UniformExcitation 2 1 -accel $accelSeriesx ;
pattern UniformExcitation 3 2 -accel $accelSeriesx2 ;

thanks.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Why G coefficients different?

Post by fmk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:52 pm

just a scaling thing. ground motions can be scaled differently is user wants them to be, up to user.

cemebrahim

Post by cemebrahim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Thank you very much professor Mckenna for your prompt response!
set iGMfile "H-E01140 H-e12140" ; # ground-motion filenames, should be different files
set iGMdirection "1 2"; # ground-motion direction
set iGMfact "1.5 0.25"; # ground-motion scaling factor
ReadSMDFile $inFile $outFile dt; # call procedure to convert the ground-motion file
set GMfatt [expr $g*$GMfact]; # data in input file is in g Unifts -- ACCELERATION TH
set AccelSeries "Series -dt $dt -filePath $outFile -factor $GMfatt"; # time series information
pattern UniformExcitation $IDloadTag $GMdirection -accel $AccelSeries ; # create Unifform excitation
}
But in this model, we see that the coefficient G is horizontal =1.5 and vertical=0.25.
in all of the models said coefficient g is variable.
why?

DuongHoangn

Post by DuongHoangn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:44 pm

fmk wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:52 pm
just a scaling thing. ground motions can be scaled differently is user wants them to be, up to user.
dear sir, can you explain this scaling factor, I took the ground motion from ngawest2.berkeley.edu website. and I don't know how to get this scaling factor to fill in the model. When you said ''ground motions can be scaled differently'' , it means that the interval impacts of GM are different which different scaling or something? the GM that I took from that website is not changed, right?

DuongHoangn

Post by DuongHoangn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 pm

I'm so confused bcz the result'll be changed when I change the scaling. which the higher scaling factor the model will be collapsed.