We are collecting OPENSEES User-Requirements Data

For developers writing C++, Fortran, Java, code who have questions or comments to make.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

silvia

We are collecting OPENSEES User-Requirements Data

Post by silvia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:33 pm

We are collecting some Requirements Data.
Please reply to this post with a list of what you, as an OpenSees DEVELOPER, require of OpenSees.

Thank you,
The OpenSees Development Team
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

rgrayeli

Post by rgrayeli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Silvia;

I think it time for Opensees developer to think about creating a geometry class as a pre-processors instead of using matlab navigator. if you put the "geometry" class in the opensses project I'm sure people like me are willing to participate.
Roozbeh
PhD student
GeoEngineering
UC, Berkeley

carlos

Post by carlos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 am

Hello,

In my opinion the most required feature is to have a pre-processor and a post-processor. In order to integrate the OPS framework with geometric packages in an easier way, I think that some features are needed:

Possibility of obtaining Rigid body shapes in eigen analysis. Now it is quite difficult to check models with joints (zerolengths elements) when they are created with manual routines and checking these shapes would be helpfull to see which elements are not connected.

Add some additional examples for developers as the example1 of the EXAMPLES folder. Perhaps the typical TCL examples could be translated. I think they are very usefull for non C++ skilled users.

Add some solutions and projects. I would suggest solutions for Windows 64 and a project similar to quickmain in order to create a DLL that could be called from the pre-processor.

I think that these features would help to new users to understand the source code of OPS.

Regards

aizen

Post by aizen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Dear Silvia

I think that would be useful to stop an analysis of a fiber model, save the state of the model (stress,..), change the fiber sections to simulate the rupture of some elements, redistribute the stresses in the structural model (given the new sections) and continue the analysis on the structure.

Thanks

Best Regards

hugo_esquivel

Re: We are collecting OPENSEES User-Requirements Data

Post by hugo_esquivel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Frank/Silvia. I have three requests for the next major release of OpenSees (version 3.0.0):

1. OpenSees on Ruby.

2. A configure executable to compile the source code easily.

3. Implementation of inclined supports.

The last one might be solved if an orientation option is added to the equalDOF command in the same way as was done with zero-length elements.

Thank you!

gaohouzhi

i think pro and post processors is not necessary

Post by gaohouzhi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:01 pm

As an researcher and engineer , i think most analysis soft wares like the black box ,making u unknown about the real process of analysing . Without the pre and post processors ,make us more yearning for carefully studying of the schenism of the analysing software.With this studying procees ,we get much more understandings about structure analogous

hugo_esquivel

Post by hugo_esquivel » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Frank/Silvia. I think the command-line "remove loadPatterns" should be implemented in a future release of OpenSees. Thank you!

hsafti

Post by hsafti » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 am

Dear Frank & Dear Silvia,

Why not consider CMake or EclipseIDE as a building utility for OpenSees to save us all the pain of building OpenSees on different platform .... Both can provide cross platform builds .... I think CMake is a better choice. Gmsh is an example of an application built by CMake ..... it is soooooo mobile.

I have been suffering for 2 weeks now to build OpenSees on Ubuntu 10.10 ..... so frustrated!

Best regards,
Hisham
Hisham El Safti

bravejbc

Post by bravejbc » Sat May 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Dear Silvia,
There are many posts mentioned how to spit mass,stiffness and damping Matrix out. At present neither mass or modal participation factors can not be recorded with OpenSees. Although We can go to the source code, find it and spit it out, it is very difficult for us.
Would you please do something about this. So that we can record mass,stiffness and damping Matrix buy Tcl scripts.
Thanks a lot!

sb1966

Post by sb1966 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 am

Dear Developers,
I think this is right time to switch over from the Makefile.def system to something like automake and cmake. The painful make process for the usershould be converted to packaging everything (libs, binaries) in an archive. The same is done by Scilab (http://www.scilab.org) which also includes the thirdparty softwares like jvm.
The user can simply extract the archve in a directory of his /her choice and start using. This will ease the portability for different OSs (Win, Linux, Mac).

I hope OpenSees theam will look into the matter seriously.
----------------------------------
With Regards,
sb1966

Costan

Post by Costan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 am

Hello , i don`t know if this is the right place for this post ... but i downloaded one program that will help me and i need it but when i try to open it , i receive one error related to .net framework . It is like this : Your framework version is not good . Please try to update it .(or something like that ) .

Can you help me with this ?? I really want this program to work ..
Trip advisor - my new blog

wenq

Post by wenq » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 am

Hello.I think your team should proivde simple and clear documents on the element library,material library and the analysis algorithm for VC++ students all around the global to develop the source code. To help us to get start on progromming as soon as possible.

johnnyontheweb

Post by johnnyontheweb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 am

I agree with some of the previous users, restart capabilities and loadpattern removing commands will be ok.
But, please, clean spam from this forum, it's unreadable.

Giovanni

schaf218

Post by schaf218 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 am

Hi,

It would be very useful to be able to define boundary conditions not along the global coordinate system. The ability to define fixity for along an incline or at an angle to the GCS would be very beneficial.

Thanks

javidsharifi

Post by javidsharifi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 am

Dear Professor,

based on my experiences with opensees in my few projects, i think it would be a good idea to include a capabality for coupling of methods/equations/domains. I mean in case a solution is made for a domain using e.g. boundary element the effects of which is going to be made on another adjacent domain in opensees, there are some methods, but there could be one especially developed for this coupling purpose which lets the user choose what method he/she wishes to apply for the other domain; i.e. other methods beside FEM could be included for coupled/parallel platform programming.
I hope I am clear enough.

Thanks for all your efforts,
yours,
B. JavidSharifi
Shiraz University of Technology