Collapse recorder

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

m12s12sa

Collapse recorder

Post by m12s12sa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:37 am

Can someone please point me to the code file in SVN repository for the Collapse recorder described here:
http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... nt_Removal
Many thanks in advance!
FL
m12s12sa
-FL-

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Collapse recorder

Post by fmk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 am

the RemoveRecorder in http://opensees.berkeley.edu/WebSVN/lis ... ecorder%2F is what they use.

Normally I would get them to change it forcing them to use same name as type used in command. However the actual recorder type that can appear on the command line can be somewhat varied. The folowing
if from the TclRecorderCommands..cpp file:

else if ( (strcmp(argv[1],"Remove") == 0) || (strcmp(argv[1],"ElementRemoval") == 0) ||
(strcmp(argv[1],"NodeRemoval") == 0) || (strcmp(argv[1],"Collapse") == 0) ) {

m12s12sa

Post by m12s12sa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you dr. McKenna!
I have one more question.
In the source code (I checked both removeRecorder.cpp and TclRecorderCommands.cpp) I cannot find the lines where the removal criterion is checked.
FROM THE WIKI:
- the removal criterion is placed in a file: "$filenameinf is the file used to input the displacement interaction curve. Two columns of data are input in this file where only positive values are input. First column is the OOP displacement in ascending order and second column is the corresponding IP displacement. Full interaction should be defined."
- and it consist in evaluating in-plane (IP) and out-of-plane (OOP) displacements: "This criterion is based on the interaction between the IP and OOP displacements. IP displacement is the relative horizontal displacement between the top and bottom nodes of the diagonal element. OOP displacement is that of the middle node (where the OOP mass is attached) with respect to the chord which connects the top and bottom nodes."

I would expect that somewhere in the source code there are these conditionts on the nodes, but I can't find them. Does anyone know where the condition is evaluated?

Many thanks in advance!
F.L.
m12s12sa
-FL-

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:36 am

the record command appears to loop over the elements and check if an element needs to be removed by calling checkEleRemoval(), if needed eleminEle() and elimNode() are invoked .. i can't see what they refer to in the wiki either .. i will see if i can get those who wrote it to comment.

m12s12sa

Post by m12s12sa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 am

I am still trying to figure out where they do compute the In plane displacement and out of plane displacement of the nodes involved
nTagbotn(nTagbotn),
nTagmidn(nTagmidn),
nTagtopn(nTagtopn),
and where in the code they recall the
criteria(remCriteria)
from the file $filenameinf. This way I could check (and fully understand) the model and verify what it is doing or replicate it "manually" with recorders.

Does anyone know one of the Authors of this element?
Many thanks,
F.L.
m12s12sa
-FL-

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 am

what element are you referring to? .. do you mean the recorder?

m12s12sa

Post by m12s12sa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Sorry, "element" was not the right word. I mean the collapse element recorder that is descripted in the paragraph "New Command in OpenSees Interpreter" of the wiki article
http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... Simulation
The criteria is to be located in a user defined external file ($filename), but I don't see where in the Remove Recorder code this file is retrieved and where the condition is checked in order to evaluate if the element is to be removed at the current step.
m12s12sa
-FL-

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Hello,

The relevant displacement calculations are conducted in the ForceBeamColumn3d.cpp file.

Selim

m12s12sa

Post by m12s12sa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 am

Many thanks for your reply. It was exactly what I was looking for!

F.L.
m12s12sa
-FL-