How to dowload source for building on a Linux cluster

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

chemogan

How to dowload source for building on a Linux cluster

Post by chemogan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 am

We have a Linux (Scientific Linux 6) cluster and would like to install OpenSees for our users. Does anyone know how to download the most recent stable source code? This does not appear to be documented anywhere. We have Subversion running on our Scientific Linux 6 cluster, but the appropriate svn command to use is not known to us. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

chemogan

Re: How to dowload source for building on a Linux cluster

Post by chemogan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:41 am

Nevermind, we found it. Thanks for your help.

hjmangalam

Post by hjmangalam » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 am

Well, after searching the site for 30m, I haven't been able to find it. Could you please document this? This is central to the process of getting the source code. You provide a Web interface to the source, but no svn repo link.

The usual way to download source is by tarball. If you don't want to supply a version tarball, fine, but then PLEASE supply the svn link, preferably the whole command so we sysadmins don't have to spend an hour working thru all the docs, BB postings, google searching, etc.

Ah, OK found it (not in the download area, but in the developer area:
http://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/developer/svn.php

the command is:

svn co svn://opensees.berkeley.edu/usr/local/svn/OpenSees/trunk OpenSees

Sheesh. Would it be so hard to put that line on the download page?

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:32 pm

the quickest way to find anything on the site is to use google, search for OpenSees source code download will bring up the link. fyi, i use google to find most things on the web as it is usually much quicker than
going through anybodies website. sorry about the 30mins.

ps. it's not on the user download page for the simple reason that when it was it people would also download it and then wonder what to do. that is why we split the site into 2 groups: users and developers (main tabbed menu featured at top of webpage below OpenSees logo). the download box for each going to the appropriate location. sorry for being out of date with the website, but this was the standard a few years back and i don't have a lot of spare time to update it.

and before you ask, the download in the quicklinks section on the left goes to the users page for the simple reason that 99.9% of the downloads are from users and i try and keep it KISS for them.