Some doubts about OpenSees

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

hresquivelo

Some doubts about OpenSees

Post by hresquivelo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Silvia, I have some doubts about OpenSees.

OpenSees was created by the National Science Foundation? But now it's been sponsored by the PEER, isn't it? What about NEES?

What do you mean when you say that OpenSees is a Software Framework? What's the different between a Software Framework and an Application?

Is OpenSees currently developed for working with elements that have radius of curvature?

Thanks in advance.

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 am

It was initially supported by PEER. There is still some funding coming from PEER, but most now comes from NEES.

A framework is something that allows you to build applications. It is a set of abstract classes and concrete classes. The abstract classes define how thge classes interact. The concrete classes allow the developers to create applications based on the code in trhe framework or customize the application by providing their own concrete classes.

The OpenSees.exe application that is downloaded from the user page is an example of the type of application that can be built using the OpenSees framework. There are other applications out there that have also been built for customized use.

hresquivelo

Post by hresquivelo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:41 am

Ok, I got it! but what about the last question?

Thanks.

hresquivelo

Post by hresquivelo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:08 am

What I want to say is whether OpenSees actually can deal with curved elements; for example, can OpenSees work with curved beams?

Thanks. I hope an answer.

silvia

Post by silvia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:30 pm

there is no single model to do it, right now, but i believe you can discretize one, why not......
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104