Displacement and Force Based Beam Column Elements

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:42 am

Dear Silvia and Others,

There are some literatures on the above subject matters. But one is amazed that not even OpenSees, that is supposedly built as both stiffness and flexibility finite element based program, shows so many surprises when one simply switches from one element to the other; say from displacement based to Force based.

For instance an analysis that converges easily using displacement based does not only have convergence problem but get “PUT OUT” at times!!!!

I would like to know why.

I would also like to be referred to relevant people and materials on the subjects of Displacement and Force Based Beam Column Elements generally and especially as applied to OpenSees.

Thank you a million.

Joseph

silvia

Post by silvia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:12 pm

please look at the reference section in the user manual.
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

balemdar

Post by balemdar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:50 pm

I have studied on this topic extensively. Here are a few references from my work:
Alemdar, B. N., (2001), Distributed Plasticity Analysis of Steel Building Structural Systems, Ph.D. Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

Alemdar, B.N., and White, D. W., (2005), “Displacement, Flexibility, and Mixed Beam-Column Finite Element Formulation for Distributed Plasticity Analysis”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 12, pp. 1811-1819

I am planning to pull some of these documents into OpenSees but I need to study OpenSees first (unfortunately too bussy with other stuff)

bulent

silvia

Post by silvia » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:09 pm

would you like me to add them to the references in the manual?
Silvia Mazzoni, PhD
Structural Consultant
Degenkolb Engineers
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA. 94104

balemdar

Post by balemdar » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:27 am

Silvia
I appreciate if you add them to the references in the manual. I am also planning to add my elements to OpenSees in future as well.
Regards
bulent