the definition of output record

For posts concerning the documentation, errors, ommissions, general comments, etc.

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

wunico

the definition of output record

Post by wunico » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:19 pm

i'm a beginner .i can't ascertain the definitions of some data of output!
for example,what are the deformations of section1 in output----'ele1secDef.out' of example 3.3? first column of data is time,but what is the second and third column?is the second column axis-strain ,axis-displacement ,shear-strain or shear displacement??? and is the third column angle or curvature?where can i get the detailed definition? i think the manual is not detailed enough! :?: :?: :?:

dongwko

I want to know the output of element recorder

Post by dongwko » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:50 pm

I'm studying about the element recorder.
But, I got the information of element recorder.
If you input "recorder Element 1 -file fn.out -time force" in 2D analysis, then "fn.out" have 7-columns.
"Element 1" means "I want to know the forces of element No. 1."
Seven Columns means as follows.
Time - Shear force of i-node (Vi) - Axial force at i-node (Pi) - moment at i-node (Mi) - Vj - Pj - Mj
I found it through cantilever column analysis.

Unfortunatully, I don't know other thing, for example section.....
Dong-Woo Ko
Korea University
Seoul
Korea

fmk
Site Admin

Post by fmk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 pm

when an element is called to ouput force they output the forces in the global coord system
at the element ends, i.e. 3d 6dof: Fx1 Fy1 Fz1 Mx1 My1 Mz1 Fx2 Fy2 Fz2 Mx2 My2 Mz2
and 2d 3dof: Fx1 Fy1 Mz1 Fx2 Fy2 Mz2

if the element is oriented along the x axis the Fx will be the axial force, if oriented differently it will be something else.

silvia

recorders

Post by silvia » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Making a better description of all this is at the very top of my to-do list for the revised manual.
But, for now, here is what I do:
first of all, are you asking for localForces/Deformations? or Forces/Deformations. this gives you an idea of which coordinate system you are looking at!
second, open up the file and see what makes sense to you, which is a good way to check your model, too.
.The first column may be time if you asked for it in the recorder command.
. Then you have to see if you are asking for deformations or forces
. look at the model command and see how many degrees of freedom you have per node.
. then, for a 3d problem, you typically have Dx,Dy,Dz,Thetax,Thetay,Thetaz for deformations and Fx,Fy,Fz,Mx,My,Mz. in local coordinates this becomes:
axial (force/defor), shear,shear,Torsion,Moment and Moment.
. you have these at node i and then at node j.
. if you have time in the data, this equals 13 columns of data.

hope this helps!!!
silvia