BoucWen Material Yield Point

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

camilalopez

BoucWen Material Yield Point

Post by camilalopez » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am

Hi, I'm trying to use the boucwen material to model an elastomeric bearing using a two-node link or a zero-length element. However, it seems like the yield displacement/strain is hard coded into the model to be a unit displacement. Has anyone run into this issue before? Thank you!

mhscott

Re: BoucWen Material Yield Point

Post by mhscott » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:53 pm

Which material? There's a few variations/implementations of BoucWen

camilalopez

Post by camilalopez » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:38 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I’m trying to use this implementation which includes degradation:
https://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/inde ... 20(1985)).

mhscott

Post by mhscott » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:01 pm

I don't know all the details, but check Table 5.1 and Figure 5.5 of the Haukaas and ADK PEER report shown on the wiki page.

camilalopez

Post by camilalopez » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:58 pm

Hi professor,

I checked the report, the source code and I also tried plotting the response using different parameters with the boucwen material using a two-node link, and I think the yield strain inside the material is assumed to be a unit value. From what I understand, the report uses a truss element along with the boucwen material so it seems they are able to tune the yield displacement using the length of the truss element to translate that unit strain to the desired yield displacement. However, when I try using a zero-length element or a two-node link it takes the unit strain and translates it into a unit displacement in whatever the basic model units are.

If you have any suggestions about what to do in this case (for a 3D model) I would really appreciate it.