Section offset and end release

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

maniabhi

Section offset and end release

Post by maniabhi » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:06 pm

Hello,

I am new to OpenSees and have a background in using Ansys. I would like to know or understand a couple of things:
1. What is the OpenSees command to provide offset to a section i.e. if the connection of a beam member does not pass through the centroidal axis of that member - how does one model it in OpenSees?
2. What is the process to perform "end release" between a beam and a column in case the connection isn't a moment connection and in fact a pin-pin connection?

remnantde

Re: Section offset and end release

Post by remnantde » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm

Thismario games command creates a linear coordinate transformation object called LinearCrdTransf. This object changes the stiffness of the beam and the resisting force from the basic system to the global coordinate system in a straight line.

lorencamarillo

Post by lorencamarillo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:18 pm

Be sure to adjust parameters and element types based on your specific modeling requirements. That's the only advice I can give yousuper mario bros wonder

blacktrogle

Post by blacktrogle » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:12 pm

With this item, the resistive force and beam stiffness are changed linearly from the fundamental coordinate system to the global coordinate system. Make sure that element types and characteristics are adjusted according to your unique modeling requirements.