Display recorder don't work

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

fefe

Display recorder don't work

Post by fefe » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:26 am

hy, everyone.
I'm start to use opensees 3.5.0. on tcl code (notepad++) and i have try some exemple codes. They work quiete nice but i have problems with all the DYSPLAYMODEL function.
In my PC with Windows 11 home i can't see the figure or img, and also if I try a simple command, nothing happen. Like:
#
set h 120
recorder display “Mode Shape 1” 10 10 500 500
prp $h $h 1
vup 0 1 0
vpn 0 0 1
viewWindow -200 200 -200 200
display -1 5 2
#
i need to do somenthing in particular or maybe i should use some extra software?

thank

fatpanda

Re: Display recorder don't work

Post by fatpanda » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:58 am

fefe wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:26 am
hy, everyone.
I'm start to use opensees 3.5.0. on tcl code (notepad++) and i have try some exemple codes. They work quiete nice but i have problems with all the DYSPLAYMODEL function.
In my PC with Windows 11 home i can't see the figure or img, and also if I try a simple command, nothing happen. Like:
#
set h 120
recorder display “Mode Shape 1” 10 10 500 500
prp $h $h 1
vup 0 1 0
vpn 0 0 1
viewWindow -200 200 -200 200
display -1 5 2
#
i need to do somenthing in particular or maybe i should use some extra software?

thank
I understand the frustration with the issues you're facing regarding the displayModel function. Let's see if we can troubleshoot this together.

First off, the displayModel or similar display functions in OpenSees are used to visualize the model or its response. However, these functions depend on certain graphical capabilities, which might not be directly supported in your environment. few things to consider:

Check OpenSees Version : Some builds of OpenSees, especially those intended for command-line use, might not include the graphical libraries needed for display functions.

Graphics Package Dependency: OpenSees uses external graphics packages for displaying models. For Tcl scripts, it typically relies on Tkinter (Tk), a standard GUI toolkit used by Tcl. Make sure that Tkinter is properly installed and configured on your system. Since you're using Windows 11, there could be compatibility issues or missing components that need to be addressed.

Correct Syntax and Commands: Ensure that your script uses the correct syntax for the display commands. Tcl is quite particular about syntax, and a small error can lead to functions not executing as expected.

In some cases, users integrate OpenSees with other software like MATLAB or Python for visualization purposes. This approach is complex but offers greater flexibility and power in visualization.

Graphics Drivers and System Compatibility: Sometimes, the issue might be with the graphics drivers on your PC or compatibility issues with Windows 11. Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Also, since OpenSees and Tcl/Tk have been around for a while, newer operating systems might introduce compatibility challenges.

Ensure Tcl/Tk is Installed: Tcl scripts with graphical output typically require Tcl/Tk to be installed on your system. If it's not installed, you would need to install it to see graphical outputs from your scripts.