element crossing in BeamContact2D element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

kamyarsa

element crossing in BeamContact2D element

Post by kamyarsa » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 am

Hello everyone, I am currently working on a project where I want to model a cantilever retaining wall, following Wiki's example. However, I am facing a problem where the wall element crosses the soil element during the excavation process in certain condition, such as when the wall is a 10-meter flexible wall. I believe this is happening due to the contact element not working properly. I use BeamContact2D element and Contactmaterial2D for the contact element and dispBeamColumn for the wall.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Losidua

Re: element crossing in BeamContact2D element

Post by Losidua » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:45 pm

I would like to know more about the ideas here

drift boss

fatpanda

Re: element crossing in BeamContact2D element

Post by fatpanda » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:01 am

kamyarsa wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 am
Hello everyone, I am currently working on a project where I want to model a cantilever retaining wall, following Wiki's example. However, I am facing a problem where the wall element crosses the soil element during the excavation process in certain condition, such as when the wall is a 10-meter flexible wall. I believe this is happening due to the contact element not working properly. I use BeamContact2D element and Contactmaterial2D for the contact element and dispBeamColumn for the wall.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Sounds like you've got quite a task on your hands with modeling a cantilever retaining wall. It can be a bit of a head-scratcher when things don't go as planned, especially with something as complex as a 10-meter flexible wall :lol: :lol: . I see you're having a bit of trouble with the wall and soil elements playing nice during the excavation process.

Tackling this kind of issue can be a bit like solving a puzzle. Since you suspect the contact element might be the culprit, it's worth giving those settings a second look. Sometimes, it's the little details in the properties of your BeamContact2D element and Contactmaterial2D that can make a big difference. You know, things like stiffness, damping, or friction parameters can be quite finicky.

Also, considering the wall's flexibility, it's crucial to get that interaction with the soil just right. It's a bit like trying to balance a seesaw – you want everything to be in harmony.

It could also be helpful to play around with your model a bit more. Maybe tweaking the mesh or adjusting the boundary conditions might shed some light on the issue. And, don't forget about those simulation parameters. Sometimes, changing the time step or convergence criteria can be like finding the missing piece of a puzzle.

And hey, if all else fails, there's no harm in trying a different approach to modeling.

Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll crack it. Good luck with your project!