last version of OpenSees

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ssami

last version of OpenSees

Post by ssami » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:16 am

Hi everyone,

I am using the OpenSees version 2.4.0, but I want to use the newest version, how can I replace the current version with the new one, such that that works well with tcl? Is it also needed to download a new version of Tcl which is consistent with the last version of OpenSees? I downloaded the last version and its executive file replaced with the current one, but it did not work. I would be grateful, if anyone could help me.

onurcemaygin

Re: last version of OpenSees

Post by onurcemaygin » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 pm

Hi,

Inside the .zip file for the latest version, there are 2 documents:

-"lib" (which contains tcl8.6 folder)
-"bin" (which contains the OpenSees.exe and a .dll file)

What you need to do is to copy the contents of the "bin" folder (OpenSees.exe and the .dll file) to the directory where your model .tcl files are located, just as we did in OpenSees 2.4.0. Then, you can copy the "lib" folder to a higher directory in its entirety, then come back to your model directory, and run your model. In my case, I went up 1 level in the directory tree and copied my "lib" folder there.

Following screenshots illustrate what I describe here:

Figure 1: "lib" folder is in the directory that is 1 level higher than my model .tcl files.

Figure 2: OpenSees.exe and the .dll file is in the same directory as my model files.

Best,
Cem.

zellahodkiewicz

Post by zellahodkiewicz » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:53 pm

onurcemaygin wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 pm
Hi,

-"bin" (which contains the OpenSees.exe and a .dll file)

What you need to do is to copy the contents of the "bin" folder (OpenSees.exe and the .dll file) to the directory where your model .tcl files are located, just as we did in OpenSees 2.4.0. Then, you can copy the "lib" folder to a higher directory in its entirety, then come back to your model directory, and run your model. In my case, I went up 1 level in the directory tree and copied my "lib" folder there.

Figure 1: "lib" folder is in the directory that is 1 level higher than my model .tcl files.

Imagemr mine
Figure 2: OpenSees.exe and the .dll file is in the same directory as my model files.

Best,
Cem.
Thanks for your useful information.

idealacrobat

Post by idealacrobat » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:52 pm

onurcemaygin wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 pm
Hi,

-"bin" (which contains the OpenSees.exe and a .dll file) baldi's basics

Best,
Cem.
I don't know why but I do like that and it crashes.

onurcemaygin

Post by onurcemaygin » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:17 am

zellahodkiewicz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Thanks for your useful information.
You are welcome.
idealacrobat wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:52 pm
I don't know why but I do like that and it crashes.
Could you provide a screenshot for the error message?