Shell Element - Outputs

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

DMcGeehan

Shell Element - Outputs

Post by DMcGeehan » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:38 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to get the generalized shell forces directly with the 'eleResponse' command or otherwise. Specifically, I want to output N11, N22, N12, M11, M22, M12, Q13, Q23. (Example of what the outputs are in ANSYS https://www.mm.bme.hu/~gyebro/files/ans ... LL181.html)

Currently I am able to get forces corresponding to the 6 DOFs (FX, FY, FZ, MX, MY, MZ) at each node of the shell using the 'force' argument. I am also able to get the 8 stress values at each integration point using the 'stresses' argument, but I want to get the generalized forces for the element, not the stresses.

Currently I am using a ShellMITC4 element with an ElasticMembranePlateSection. If I need to use a specific element or section to be able to access the generalized shell forces, please let me know.

mhscott

Re: Shell Element - Outputs

Post by mhscott » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:53 pm

The recorder is a bit of a misnomer. Those 8 stress values are the stress resultants (generalized forces) at each integration point. You can only have up to 6 stresses anyway.

Franker

Re: Shell Element - Outputs

Post by Franker » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:36 pm

Opensees uses a three node shell unit, ShellDKGT, made of ElasticMembranePlateSection. Through the stresses command, each triangle unit outputs 32 data. How should these data be interpreted?
If convenient, please contact your email 1847095949@qq.com