Is it possible to simulate Inelastic Lateral Buckling of beams by beam-column elements in opensees?

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

wuhuaxie

Is it possible to simulate Inelastic Lateral Buckling of beams by beam-column elements in opensees?

Post by wuhuaxie » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:12 am

Hi all,

I wonder is it possible to simulate Inelastic Lateral Buckling of beams by beam-column element in opensees? For example, a cantilever steel tubular beam subjected to a vertical load at its tip.

My model is a steel cylinder tower (diameter/thickness ratio over 100) subjected to lateral pushover.

I know how to model slender column by using the corotational mesh approach, but how about the flexural issue? Enabling a thin-walled tubular beam to show the buckling behavior instead of the ductile hinge behavior.

I know there are some beam-column elements for warping effect, but I haven't found them in openseespy yet, are they the solution? or turn to the final solution of using shell elements.

Thank you for your kind reply!

wuhuaxie

Re: Is it possible to simulate Inelastic Lateral Buckling of beams by beam-column elements in opensees?

Post by wuhuaxie » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:06 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try them.

braydenmorales

Re: Is it possible to simulate Inelastic Lateral Buckling of beams by beam-column elements in opensees?

Post by braydenmorales » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:50 am

These links that you share are helpful with me.
tiny fishing unblocked