Time passing for Analysis of 3D model

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

muggeoz

Time passing for Analysis of 3D model

Post by muggeoz » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:06 am

Hello everyone,
I have a 3D model with elastic material properties having around 2100 node and 6000 - 7000 degrees of freedom. The time history analysis of this model takes around 50 minutes for a 3-second analysis duration selecting the time step as 0.005 (OpenSees Version: 3.3.0). The computer used in the analysis has an IntelCore i7 processor and 16 GB of ram memory.
The analysis seems to take a long time. Is there anyone analyzing such a 3D model in Opensees? For a comparison, I would like to ask how long does it take? I am trying to understand whether I am doing something wrong/missing.

Thank you

mhscott

Re: Time passing for Analysis of 3D model

Post by mhscott » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:56 pm

It should not take that long. What are you using for the algorithm, integrator, and system commands? Also, what do you mean by elastic material properties? What type of elements are you using?

muggeoz

Post by muggeoz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:12 am

Thank very much you for your answer and sorry for my delayed reply. I am trying to analyze a soil-pile system. The model consists of SSPbrick elements for soil domain and elasticBeamColumn elements for the pile. I was using "BandSPD" and "RCM" commands for system and numberer definitions, respectively. I have changed those properties to SparseSYM and RCM/Plain and then the analyze time has decreased to around 300 seconds. I think the problem with analysis time has been solved for now. Thank you for your attention.

HuanY

Post by HuanY » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:38 pm

Hello, I am studying the stability of slopes. As a beginner, I failed in the self-weight analysis after establishing the slope model. If you are also studying geotechnical soil, I would like to ask you some questions.