Update parameter at every time step

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

aliakbar

Update parameter at every time step

Post by aliakbar » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Dear all,

I am doing time history analysis on a building with friction isolators (modeled with singleFPBearing element). However, since the isolators I want to simulate have variable curvature based on the displacement (the sliding surface is not spherical and its curvature is variable) I have to update the "R" parameter of singleFPBearing element at every time step of time history analysis and after the R value is updated based on the displacement at that step, then go to the next step.
I tried doing that using a loop and updated the R value at every step of analysis but the problem is that when I update the R value I have to define a new singleFPBearing element and replace with the old one. Doing this makes the analysis start from the beginning while the isolator has a displacement and a velocity at that step. What I need is to continue analysis from the last step. Somebody please guide how can I do this.

Regards,

mhscott

Re: Update parameter at every time step

Post by mhscott » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 am

You can use updateParameter inside the loop, but it looks like these functions aren't implemented for this element. I can add the functions and it will be available in the next release.

mhscott

Post by mhscott » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Added the methods so that R or Reff can be treated as a parameter

https://github.com/OpenSees/OpenSees/pull/635/files

aliakbar

Post by aliakbar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 pm

Dear mhscott,

Great thanks for the immediate replies and actions. I should wait for the next release of Opensees to see the changes or I can get them earlier? Please guide.

Regards,