Limit state material & Rotation shear curve

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

karmkon

Limit state material & Rotation shear curve

Post by karmkon » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:46 am

Hello,

I am trying to implement the pinching limit state material via assuming that the type of limit curve is the Rotation Shear curve. Therefore, I have developed a simple cantilever model to check on the material's application. The cantilever is composed by a zero length element at the fixed base and two distributed plasticity members (fibers) representing the plastic hinge zone and the "elastic" zone of the member accordingly (as suggested by M.R. LeBorgne, W.M. Ghannoum 2014) .
In the zero length element in the beginning I am assigning an elastic uniaxial material of high stiffness in all dof's and I perform modal analysis. The resulted period matches the one acquired through hand calcs. However, when I am substituting the the elastic material with the pnching limit state one in the direction of the shear (1), the period of my cantilever is no longer realistic indicating an instability in my model.

Do you have any suggestions on how to tackle the aforementioned issue?

Thank you very much in advance.