Problems with the force-based element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

iasm

Problems with the force-based element

Post by iasm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:27 am

Dear forum,

I've been having troubles with a particular error that happen with force-base element. The error messeage is "ForceBeamColumn3d::update() -- could not invert flexibility". I've been looking in this forum for information about that error and i found some ways to fix it like, change some fiber discretization, materials properties, decrease time step, sometimes the algorithm, etc. But the error persist. I'm doing some IDAs analisys in a 3D model of a building and for some records the error is printed for a long time an for other recors it does no happen. So I wonder if there is any way to count how many times or for how long the error is been printed and exit the analysis in a control way ? I use the command clock to save the time of the analysis and i have a conditional where i ask how much time has spent but it did not work beacause the error is printed while the analysis is doing iterations at the element level.

I appreciate your help,

Thanks.

mhscott

Re: Problems with the force-based element

Post by mhscott » Mon May 17, 2021 6:24 am

You have a singular section stiffness somewhere in your model.