Extra nodes to record Acceleration

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ankurjain

Extra nodes to record Acceleration

Post by ankurjain » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:16 am

Dear Sir,

Can I define some extra nodes at floor level in order to find the Floor acceleration at that node point ?

Actually I need to find the Floor acceleration at Center of Rigidity. But the point where Centre of Rigidity is not lying at any node. Also, If I define any node at floor level, what should be the SP constraint there for that node ?

Thanks in advance.

mhscott

Re: Extra nodes to record Acceleration

Post by mhscott » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Yes, but you will have to make sure the node is connected to one of the structure nodes.

ankurjain

Post by ankurjain » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:21 am

mhscott wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 pm
Yes, but you will have to make sure the node is connected to one of the structure nodes.
ok then I will create a node at that point where I need to calculate the Acceleration and connect it with the near by node by a beam without applying any load on this beam. Finally, I will define a diaphragm including that node. But, Won't this affect acceleration results at other nodes ???

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:17 am

The rigid diaphragm should be sufficient to connect it to other nodes. You don't need an additional beam element. Actually, if you are using a rigid diaphragm, you can compute the acceleration at a certain floor with postprocesing from the translation and rotational accelerations at the center of mass