Help with MDOF shear and MDOF flexural-shear modeling

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

harvie

Help with MDOF shear and MDOF flexural-shear modeling

Post by harvie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 am

Good day everyone!

Harvie here, I'm literally new to opensees and is trying to understand how this works. I'm trying to read stuff from the wiki but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to model low to mid rise structures as MDOF concentrated mass shear models and high rise structures as MDOF concentrated mass flexural-shear model for an urban scale analysis for my thesis. I am going for DEM since data available are on macro scale such as building height , building footprint, etc and no specific dimensions for the beams and columns since data gathering is difficult for an urban-scale analysis.

I know that masses can be modelled as concentrated nodal masses but my problem is modeling the shear and flexural springs and how are these gonna be connected to the nodal masses.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

selimgunay

Re: Help with MDOF shear and MDOF flexural-shear modeling

Post by selimgunay » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:55 pm

You can use zerolength element to model the shear and flexural springs. However the shear and flexural springs will not be coupled.

https://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/inde ... th_Element

harvie

Re: Help with MDOF shear and MDOF flexural-shear modeling

Post by harvie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:13 am

hello @selimgunay!

Thank you for replying, I'm actually thinking of using 2-node links, is this possible?
Or should I use zerolength elements and connect them with rigid links?