2 questions about zero-length element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

xinyue

2 questions about zero-length element

Post by xinyue » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi all, I've been thinking about two questions about zero-length element but couldn't find an answer myself. By any chance, could you show me some your insights? Thanks in advance!

Q1: The zero-length element consists of two nodes (m dof at each node) at the same location, which seems to introduce one redundant node (m dof) to the model. Consequently, I think in eigen analysis, the size of the eigenvector will increase by m. And the values of the two nodes in the same eigen vector should be the same. If I plan to use the eigen vectors to do modal analysis, should I eliminate the repetitive m entries from the eigen vectors?

Q2: If I apply a nodal load on one of the two nodes of a zero-length element, does this mean this load is also applied on the other node? (In other words, will it make any difference if applying nodal load on either node of a zero-length element?)

mhscott

Re: 2 questions about zero-length element

Post by mhscott » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:00 am

Q1: You will need to use the equalDOF command to eliminate redundant degrees of freedom

Q2: Yes, in some cases it can make a difference

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 pm

If you are using a zerolength element, it means that you are introducing a flexible element (can be interpreted as a spring) between the two nodes of a zerolength element. Therefore, obviously those two nodes will have different values in the eigenvectors

xinyue

Post by xinyue » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:08 am

selimgunay wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 pm
If you are using a zerolength element, it means that you are introducing a flexible element (can be interpreted as a spring) between the two nodes of a zerolength element. Therefore, obviously those two nodes will have different values in the eigenvectors
Thank you for your explanation. It's so clear to me now! :)