Base Moment

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Gholamreza

Base Moment

Post by Gholamreza » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 am

Hello Engineers,

I was wondering if there is a recorder to get the seismic base moment of structure similar to base shear ? if element recorder does so, please explain or give me the example!!
Last edited by Gholamreza on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhscott

Re: Overturning Momrnt

Post by mhscott » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:29 am

Not that I'm aware of, but should be easy enough to post-process overturning moment from recorders of node reactions at the base.

Gholamreza

Re: Base Moment

Post by Gholamreza » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 am

Can you give me a hint ?
Last edited by Gholamreza on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selimgunay

Re: Overturning Momrnt

Post by selimgunay » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm

If you are doing pushover analysis, in each step, you compute it as (the sum of the applied lateral forces) x (the distance from the centroid of lateral forces to the base of the structure. If you are using time history, you should record all reactions at the base of the structure and take the moments of axial forces and base moments with respect to a point at the base.

Gholamreza

Post by Gholamreza » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm

I am doing time history. So, then I should use element recorders (globalForce) to record the forces (axial forces, Fy) in elements (columns) connected to boundary conditions (supports) at base and also get the base moment (Mz) in those elemnets and take the moment about a point !
OR
I can use the node recorder to get support reactions in dof 1 ,2 and 2 (in 2D problem) and then use forces in dof 2 as axial forces and dof 3 as base moments ?

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:00 pm

You can do either way. Doing both would be good for double checking your calculations.