Modulus of Elasticity in case of ZeroLengthElement

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ankurjain

Modulus of Elasticity in case of ZeroLengthElement

Post by ankurjain » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:46 pm

In distributed plasticity, I define Concrete01 and Steel02 and enter separate Modulus of Elasticity....so no issue..

In case of RC structure, If i design using ZeroLength Element then the Beam/Column part shall be Elastic. Now what Modulus of Elasticity shall I enter there because for Concrete E=5000*(fck)^0.5 and for Rebar, fy = 415 N/mm^2 and Es = 200000N/mm^2.

Now What shall I write against Moment of Elasticity so that I assign it to the Column/Beam.???

mhscott

Re: Modulus of Elasticity in case of ZeroLengthElement

Post by mhscott » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:13 am

If you are connecting a zero length element to an elastic beam column, the "stiffness" of the zero length element will be interpreted as force/deformation for translational DOFs and moment/rotation for rotational DOFs.

selimgunay

Re: Modulus of Elasticity in case of ZeroLengthElement

Post by selimgunay » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 am

For the elastic element, you can use concrete modulus of elasticity. In ASCE 41-17, recommendation for flexural stiffness is to use 0.7EcIg for columns with axial force and 0.3EcIg for beams without much axial load. Here Ec is the modulus of elasticity of concrete and Ig is the gross moment of inertia of the section. For columns, it is larger because of less cracking