Push analysis doesn't converge

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 am

geoStru wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:44 am
sorry I wanted to write
set HCol [expr 500*$mm]
set HCol [expr 0.50*$m]
no its not working my friend....
Why its not working if we change the units ?
I have checked the whole code but didnt find any error .

mhscott
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by mhscott » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:29 am

Which example are you running? Is it Ex8.genericFrame3D.build.RCsec.tcl?

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:41 am

mhscott wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:29 am
Which example are you running? Is it Ex8.genericFrame3D.build.RCsec.tcl?
yes sir...

Now it is working ... I guess the problem is with LibUnits.tcl

set in 1; # define basic units -- output units
set kip 1; # define basic units -- output units

The value of kip is assigned 1 and so if we convert this in to Newton it will be 4445 (approx) and because of this it is not able to converge...

Now I guess we have to increase the size of the Column and beam and increase reinforcement for it to converge if we use SI units.

mhscott
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by mhscott » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 am

You should not have to change the size of the members based on units. Check the conversions in LibUnits.tcl.

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 am

mhscott wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 am
You should not have to change the size of the members based on units. Check the conversions in LibUnits.tcl.
I have changed the value inch in to meter directly and 1 kip to 4448.2216 Newton.....
but still the convergence is an issue.....

set in 0.0254; # define basic units -- output units
set kip 4448.2216; # define basic units -- output units
set sec 1.; # define basic units -- output units
set LunitTXT "inch"; # define basic-unit text for output
set FunitTXT "kip"; # define basic-unit text for output
set TunitTXT "sec"; # define basic-unit text for output
set ft [expr 12.*$in]; # define engineering units
set ksi [expr $kip/pow($in,2)];
set psi [expr $ksi/1000.];
set lbf [expr $psi*$in*$in]; # pounds force
set pcf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per cubic foot
set psf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per square foot
set in2 [expr $in*$in]; # inch^2
set in4 [expr $in*$in*$in*$in]; # inch^4
set cm [expr $in/2.54]; # centimeter, needed for displacement input in MultipleSupport excitation
set PI [expr 2*asin(1.0)]; # define constants
set g [expr 32.2*$ft/pow($sec,2)]; # gravitational acceleration
set Ubig 1.e10; # a really large number
set Usmall [expr 1/$Ubig]; # a really small number

mhscott
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by mhscott » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am

What version of OpenSees are you using? With version 3.2.2, I get the following warning about torsion in the fiber section. There was a change a few months ago (read about it here: https://wp.me/pbejzW-9X), but you should get an error before the analysis with version 3.2.2, so perhaps you are using an older version of OpenSees.exe?

Code: Select all

WARNING - no torsion specified for 3D fiber section, use -GJ or -torsion

FiberSection3d: 4

    while executing
"section fiberSec $id {
		# Define the core patch
		patch quadr $coreID $nfCoreZ $nfCoreY -$coreY $coreZ -$coreY -$coreZ $coreY -$coreZ $coreY $coreZ
	..."
    (procedure "BuildRCrectSection" line 75)

selimgunay
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 pm
Location: University of California, Berkeley

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by selimgunay » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:03 pm

How do you define mm in the units file, is it

set mm 1

or

set mm 1.0

geoStru
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by geoStru » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:34 am

ankurjain wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 am
mhscott wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 am
You should not have to change the size of the members based on units. Check the conversions in LibUnits.tcl.
I have changed the value inch in to meter directly and 1 kip to 4448.2216 Newton.....
but still the convergence is an issue.....

set in 0.0254; # define basic units -- output units
set kip 4448.2216; # define basic units -- output units
set sec 1.; # define basic units -- output units
set LunitTXT "inch"; # define basic-unit text for output
set FunitTXT "kip"; # define basic-unit text for output
set TunitTXT "sec"; # define basic-unit text for output
set ft [expr 12.*$in]; # define engineering units
set ksi [expr $kip/pow($in,2)];
set psi [expr $ksi/1000.];
set lbf [expr $psi*$in*$in]; # pounds force
set pcf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per cubic foot
set psf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per square foot
set in2 [expr $in*$in]; # inch^2
set in4 [expr $in*$in*$in*$in]; # inch^4
set cm [expr $in/2.54]; # centimeter, needed for displacement input in MultipleSupport excitation
set PI [expr 2*asin(1.0)]; # define constants
set g [expr 32.2*$ft/pow($sec,2)]; # gravitational acceleration
set Ubig 1.e10; # a really large number
set Usmall [expr 1/$Ubig]; # a really small number
if you want I will attacching a link for my script. I used "N" and "m" and you can try to see if the analysis converges

mhscott
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by mhscott » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 am

I downloaded and ran the script from the wiki page. I got the error about torsion that I mentioned here yesterday. Did you take a look at that?

geoStru
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by geoStru » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:55 am

Sorry Michael H. Scott, there is a misunderstanding. I resolved the problem of the convergence. I would like to help ankurjain.


For the problem "no torsion specified for 3D fiber section, use -GJ or -torsion" you should add in BuildRCrectSection.tcl this:
set Ubig 1.e10;
set G $Ubig;
set J 1.0;
set GJ [expr $G*$J]
section fiberSec $id -GJ $GJ {
patch quadr $coreID $nfCoreZ $nfCoreY -$coreY $coreZ -$coreY -$coreZ $coreY -$coreZ $coreY $coreZ
....
}

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:06 am

geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:55 am
Sorry Michael H. Scott, there is a misunderstanding. I resolved the problem of the convergence. I would like to help ankurjain.


For the problem "no torsion specified for 3D fiber section, use -GJ or -torsion" you should add in BuildRCrectSection.tcl this:
set Ubig 1.e10;
set G $Ubig;
set J 1.0;
set GJ [expr $G*$J]
section fiberSec $id -GJ $GJ {
patch quadr $coreID $nfCoreZ $nfCoreY -$coreY $coreZ -$coreY -$coreZ $coreY -$coreZ $coreY $coreZ
....
}
ok i will try this and revert back

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am

geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:34 am
ankurjain wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 am
mhscott wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 am
You should not have to change the size of the members based on units. Check the conversions in LibUnits.tcl.
I have changed the value inch in to meter directly and 1 kip to 4448.2216 Newton.....
but still the convergence is an issue.....

set in 0.0254; # define basic units -- output units
set kip 4448.2216; # define basic units -- output units
set sec 1.; # define basic units -- output units
set LunitTXT "inch"; # define basic-unit text for output
set FunitTXT "kip"; # define basic-unit text for output
set TunitTXT "sec"; # define basic-unit text for output
set ft [expr 12.*$in]; # define engineering units
set ksi [expr $kip/pow($in,2)];
set psi [expr $ksi/1000.];
set lbf [expr $psi*$in*$in]; # pounds force
set pcf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per cubic foot
set psf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per square foot
set in2 [expr $in*$in]; # inch^2
set in4 [expr $in*$in*$in*$in]; # inch^4
set cm [expr $in/2.54]; # centimeter, needed for displacement input in MultipleSupport excitation
set PI [expr 2*asin(1.0)]; # define constants
set g [expr 32.2*$ft/pow($sec,2)]; # gravitational acceleration
set Ubig 1.e10; # a really large number
set Usmall [expr 1/$Ubig]; # a really small number
if you want I will attacching a link for my script. I used "N" and "m" and you can try to see if the analysis converges
yes pls kindly attch the script.

geoStru
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by geoStru » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:06 am

ankurjain wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am
geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:34 am
ankurjain wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 am


I have changed the value inch in to meter directly and 1 kip to 4448.2216 Newton.....
but still the convergence is an issue.....

set in 0.0254; # define basic units -- output units
set kip 4448.2216; # define basic units -- output units
set sec 1.; # define basic units -- output units
set LunitTXT "inch"; # define basic-unit text for output
set FunitTXT "kip"; # define basic-unit text for output
set TunitTXT "sec"; # define basic-unit text for output
set ft [expr 12.*$in]; # define engineering units
set ksi [expr $kip/pow($in,2)];
set psi [expr $ksi/1000.];
set lbf [expr $psi*$in*$in]; # pounds force
set pcf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per cubic foot
set psf [expr $lbf/pow($ft,3)]; # pounds per square foot
set in2 [expr $in*$in]; # inch^2
set in4 [expr $in*$in*$in*$in]; # inch^4
set cm [expr $in/2.54]; # centimeter, needed for displacement input in MultipleSupport excitation
set PI [expr 2*asin(1.0)]; # define constants
set g [expr 32.2*$ft/pow($sec,2)]; # gravitational acceleration
set Ubig 1.e10; # a really large number
set Usmall [expr 1/$Ubig]; # a really small number
if you want I will attacching a link for my script. I used "N" and "m" and you can try to see if the analysis converges
yes pls kindly attch the script.
I am attaching the link for the folder you can read and run my file tcl. With "Procedura.tcl" you run the analysis.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
let me know

ankurjain
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by ankurjain » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 pm

geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:06 am
ankurjain wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am
geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:34 am


if you want I will attacching a link for my script. I used "N" and "m" and you can try to see if the analysis converges
yes pls kindly attch the script.
I am attaching the link for the folder you can read and run my file tcl. With "Procedura.tcl" you run the analysis.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
let me know
yes this one is totally converging...no -3 error...

Now the issue is whether the result of this analysis matches with the one from SAP2000 or not ?

Because I have done one pushover example that converge well but the same result didnt matched with that of SAP2000...means not even little bit close....
Any idea if you have tried matching the result with SAP2000 ?

If you have done any then kindly share both SAP2000 and opensees file so that i can compare .
Thanks in advance

geoStru
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Push analysis doesn't converge

Post by geoStru » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:57 am

ankurjain wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 pm
geoStru wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:06 am
ankurjain wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am


yes pls kindly attch the script.
I am attaching the link for the folder you can read and run my file tcl. With "Procedura.tcl" you run the analysis.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
let me know
yes this one is totally converging...no -3 error...

Now the issue is whether the result of this analysis matches with the one from SAP2000 or not ?

Because I have done one pushover example that converge well but the same result didnt matched with that of SAP2000...means not even little bit close....
Any idea if you have tried matching the result with SAP2000 ?

If you have done any then kindly share both SAP2000 and opensees file so that i can compare .
Thanks in advance
I didn't compare the pushover analysis with sap. I compared the eigen and static analysis with sap2000.
Do you thing the push is wrong?
Can you attaching the two results? Have you got fb? We can try to speak, it's very difficult in this way

Post Reply