YieldSurface Material

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

Sension

YieldSurface Material

Post by Sension » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello everyone.

I want to consider the PMM surface of plastic hinge. If the combined load P, M, M is on the surface, plastic hinge occurs and a tangent E is set for it.

The method I figure out at present is using zeroLength element, and the generalized force - displacement relationship of zeroLength element is set by material.

I find a yieldSurface material in OpenSees code (under the directory Opensees-x.x.x/SRC/material), but I cannot find any explanation about this material on Opensees website. Could anyone explain this material to me or are there any good methods to realize the PMM surface?

selimgunay

Re: YieldSurface Material

Post by selimgunay » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 pm

You can do it in the regular way of applying an axial force P with gravity analysis and then doing a pushover with varying force ratios in the horizontal directions. This is possible with two for loops. You need to use a fiber section.

Sension

Post by Sension » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

selimgunay wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 pm
You can do it in the regular way of applying an axial force P with gravity analysis and then doing a pushover with varying force ratios in the horizontal directions. This is possible with two for loops. You need to use a fiber section.
Thanks, but you may misunderstand my intention. My purpose is not to achieve a PMM surface of a column, but to give a predefined PMM surface to a column or a plastic hinge. I'd appreciate it if you could give me some details about yieldSurface material.

selimgunay

Post by selimgunay » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:44 am

I don't believe the yieldSurface material would allow you to input a PMM interaction curve for a column, but the best approach would be to contact any of the developers of this material to get more information. There is an email address in the file CombinedIsoKin2D02.cpp

Instead of assigning a PMM curve to your plastic hinge, you can define a fiber section with beamwithhinges element and that will be equivalent to defining a PMM intreaction curve as the PMM interaction will be automatically handled by the fiber section

Sension

Post by Sension » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 pm

selimgunay wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:44 am
I don't believe the yieldSurface material would allow you to input a PMM interaction curve for a column, but the best approach would be to contact any of the developers of this material to get more information. There is an email address in the file CombinedIsoKin2D02.cpp

Instead of assigning a PMM curve to your plastic hinge, you can define a fiber section with beamwithhinges element and that will be equivalent to defining a PMM intreaction curve as the PMM interaction will be automatically handled by the fiber section
Thank you very much! I will try.