About Cyclic and Pushover Analysis

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

selimgunay

Re: About Cyclic and Pushover Analysis

Post by selimgunay » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm

I recommend using the adaptive solution strategies that we talked before and a smaller increment.

Also, you can try increasing the maximum number of iterations and slightly reducing the tolerance for the flatSliderBearing element. These are the last two parameters of the element commands below.

element flatSliderBearing $eleTag $iNode $jNode $frnMdlTag $kInit -P $matTag -Mz $matTag <-orient $x1 $x2 $x3 $y1 $y2 $y3> <-shearDist $sDratio> <-doRayleigh> <-mass $m> <-iter $maxIter $tol>

mhscott

Post by mhscott » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:28 pm

I suspect the flatSliderBearing element is giving you convergence issues. Can you replace it with a zero length element that has more simple response? Even as simple as elastic response. I know it sounds silly, but you should try to isolate which element is causing the convergence problems.

shiro

Post by shiro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:35 pm

Dear selimgunay and mhscott

I will try the <-iter $ maxIter $ tol> option of the flatSliderBearing element.

I was very interested in detailed analysis considering slip springs on the top, bottom, left and right of the masonry block unit,
so I was trying. There were many things I did not understand because I was a beginner.

Try replacing it with zero-length elements, or try a macro model with brace replacement.

Thank you for all the appropriate advice.