Pushover Analysis of 3D Steel Frame

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

hwpederson

Pushover Analysis of 3D Steel Frame

Post by hwpederson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Hello all. I am trying to conduct pushover analysis on a 3-dimensional, 4 bay, 3 story steel frame with columns of W14x176 and beams of W10x112 section properties, and Fy=50 ksi, Fu=65 ksi. Note that I don't have any spans going in the z-direction so it is basically a 2D frame, but I need to model it as 3D. The goal is to compare my results from OpenSees to the same frame in SAP2000. However, my gravity analysis is not running correctly in OpenSees and I am getting about 50% lower base shear when compared to my SAP model. I should note that I am using nonlinearBeamColumn elements and I have heard that there are some issues with that in version 2.5 that I am using. I have a uniform dead load of 1.47 k/ft on the 1st and 2nd story, and a dead load of 1.43 k/ft on the 3rd story. Note that I have tried to apply the gravity load as both eleLoad and nodal loads but neither is giving a good result. I was wondering if anyone has a code for a 3D steel frame in which the gravity analysis works, or if I could send someone my code to take a look at it and possibly help me resolve it. thank you