Record flexure and shear displacements components

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

sanaclet

Record flexure and shear displacements components

Post by sanaclet » Tue May 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi,

I would appreciate if you could guide me on how to record the flexure and shear displacement components (Uf, Us) in a cyclic nonlinear analysis of a beam model created using fiber section and force-based beam-column element combined with shear aggregator.

I was planning to duplicate the model with and without the shear behavior (shear aggregator) and get the shear displacement by subtracting the total displacement from the flexural model (no shear) to the total displacement of the flexure+shear model. But I am wondering if there is a more straightforward way to do get Uf, Us, and also I am not sure if this would be valid in nonlinear analysis since the principle of superposition does not apply.

Thanks!

selimgunay

Re: Record flexure and shear displacements components

Post by selimgunay » Tue May 01, 2018 8:46 pm

How do you model shear, is it elastic or is it also nonlinear? If it is elastic, the approach that you described is reasonable I think

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Record flexure and shear displacements components

Post by fmk » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

you cannot record that info from the element .. and your approach will not work for a nonlinear model.