Timoshenko beam issues

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

TsarpalisD

Timoshenko beam issues

Post by TsarpalisD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am

Hello Opensees community ,
I'm trying to model a simple 2D Timoshenko cantilever with nodal X and Y Forces at the free end and PDelta transformation. I have 4 models with different mesh each: 2 points, 8 points, 20 points and 40 points. The problem is that I fail to get a convergence, each model gives me very different results. When I use linear geometric transformation the results are identical. Any thoughts?
Thank you,

selimgunay

Re: Timoshenko beam issues

Post by selimgunay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am

When you say that you fail to get convergence, do you mean that the analysis is completed for different meshes but the analysis results are different?

TsarpalisD

Re: Timoshenko beam issues

Post by TsarpalisD » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 am

selimgunay wrote:
> When you say that you fail to get convergence, do you mean that the
> analysis is completed for different meshes but the analysis results are
> different?

Yes exactly. The cantilever is parallel to the Y axis, has length 9.28 meters and i apply the following forces at the free end: Fx = -200kN and Fy= 200 kN. The results are the following:
1) SAP2000 gives me 0.77 m horizontal displacement at the free end, which is the right answer
2) Opensees mesh 2 points gives -0.086 m
3) Opensees mesh 10 points gives 3.51 m
4) Opensees mesh 20 points gives me 1.03 m
5) Opensees mesh 120 points gives me 0.67 m

The results above are accounting PDelta transformation. In linear analysis all the results are identical.

, thank you