SFI-MVLEM shear wall modelling

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

kevineffendyy

SFI-MVLEM shear wall modelling

Post by kevineffendyy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 am

Hi,
I currently am working on a research on the validation of SFI-MVLEM analytical modelling on a variety of shear wall specimens, including non rectangular (barbel and flange-shaped) ones. I am using the example file Example1. SFI_MVLEM (http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... r_RC_Walls) as my reference of the modelling in OpenSees. However, in the process I encountered several problems that I would like to ask about.

1. Can the SFI-MVLEM OpenSees code be used in metric units? Or is it built to be used in British units only?

2. When validating RC shear walls with barbel or flange boundaries, can I just simply adjust the thickness of the boundary fibers? Or is there any other parameters or factors needed to be adjusted? During my validation process of these types of walls, I encountered overestimation of stiffness which resulted in a very steep slope on the hysteresis curves unlike the ones from the wall testing. Therefore, I was wondering if maybe there are several other adjustments necessary for these types of walls.

3. If I understand correctly, the parameters of concrete are based on the equations from Chang and Mander. However, I found differences in parameter values, namely the shape parameter of concrete in compression between the empirical equations and the ones inputted in the SFI-MVLEM code example. Because of that, I would like to ask if there are more required adjustments in the process.

Thanks in advance

ahmadbsr

Re: SFI-MVLEM shear wall modelling

Post by ahmadbsr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:43 am

kevineffendyy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 am
Hi,
I currently am working on a research on the validation of SFI-MVLEM analytical modelling on a variety of shear wall specimens, including non rectangular (barbel and flange-shaped) ones. I am using the example file Example1. SFI_MVLEM (http://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index ... r_RC_Walls) as my reference of the modelling in OpenSees. However, in the process I encountered several problems that I would like to ask about.

1. Can the SFI-MVLEM OpenSees code be used in metric units? Or is it built to be used in British units only?

2. When validating RC shear walls with barbel or flange boundaries, can I just simply adjust the thickness of the boundary fibers? Or is there any other parameters or factors needed to be adjusted? During my validation process of these types of walls, I encountered overestimation of stiffness which resulted in a very steep slope on the hysteresis curves unlike the ones from the wall testing. Therefore, I was wondering if maybe there are several other adjustments necessary for these types of walls.

3. If I understand correctly, the parameters of concrete are based on the equations from Chang and Mander. However, I found differences in parameter values, namely the shape parameter of concrete in compression between the empirical equations and the ones inputted in the SFI-MVLEM code example. Because of that, I would like to ask if there are more required adjustments in the process.

Thanks in advance
Can I model the Shear wall in the bay of frame with SFI method ?