Behavioural and Physical Models for Steel Plate Shear Walls

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

ftong

Behavioural and Physical Models for Steel Plate Shear Walls

Post by ftong » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:16 am

Hi everyone,

I am trying to model a steel plate shear wall (SPSW) assembly (boundary elements + infill plate). Could anyone please share your experiences on my following inquiries?

[1] Phenomenological Model
Whereas strip models are widely adopted in simulating the physical characteristics of SPSWs, what I am needing in the first step is to have a simple uniaxial nonlinear spring representing the V-D relation of SPSWs phenomenologically and incorporate it into my overall model which is complex. Is there an uniaixalMaterial model in OpenSees whose property parameters are explicitly related to the design parameters of SPSWs, such as panel dimensions, aspect ratios (L/H), slenderness (H/tp), boundary element rigidities (EI) and etc. The hysteresis of uniaxialMaterial CFSSSWP is kind of the behavioural model I'd need. However it is literally coded and calibrated for the sheathed cold-formed SPSWs that are not my current interest.

[2] Physical Model
In the case that a strip model is eventually used for more sophisticated simulations, a realistic hysteresis is required for the strips. Two uniaxialMaterial models are proposed and implemented in OpenSees by the following authors:

(1) Choi and Park, 2010, Hysteresis Model of Thin Infill Plate for Cyclic Nonlinear Analysis of Steel Plate Shear Walls. [DOI: 10.1061/ASCE_ST.1943-541X.0000244]
Can anyone advise the name of this model in OpenSees and its parameters? I could not find it in the manual or even the source code folder (root)/trunk/SRC/material/uniaxial/

(2) D. J. Webster, 2013, The Inelastic Seismic Response of Steel Plate Shear Wall Web Plates and Their Interaction with the Vertical Boundary Members, PhD Dissertation.
This model is named spsw_web_plate in OpenSees, but there seems no instructions on its parameters. Can someone share your experience of using it?

Thanks.
Fei