confinement effect

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

muhammadazad

confinement effect

Post by muhammadazad » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:16 am

hello
I modeled the FRP confined concrete columns using Opensees.
I modeled concrete and FRP with separate materials model that
the stress-strain model of each material is the same as the real behavior of this materials.
the confinement effect is ignored in modeling.
additionally, the nonlinear beam-column element is used in order to modeling the FRP confined concrete columns.
the comparison between the experimental results and finite element analyses results indicated that the
model is capable to provide highly satisfactory predictions.
1- please guide me that is the confinement effect automatically implemented in Opensees without any changing in modeling step?
or the user must consider the effect of confinement in modeling process?
additionally, as you now the nonlinear beam-column element is two-dimensional element and the confinement conditions provided by frp is three-dimensional phenomenon.
thereupon 2-how the two-dimensional element can be used to depict the confinement conditions provided by frp (that is the three-dimensional phenomenon)?
best regards
Last edited by muhammadazad on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

linguan118

Re: confinement effect

Post by linguan118 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:59 pm

The confinement effect of FRP need to be considered manually into the stress-strain model of concrete.
Research Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
guanlin@polyu.edu.hk