can we use the beamColumnJoint element into structure?

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

leaves

Post by leaves » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:03 am

hi,
i tried use the beamColumnJoint into a concrete structure , the period is too big .so i wander whether the beamColumnJoint element can be used in the structure for dynamic analysis?

it shows:Maximum number of iteration reached.

fmk
Site Admin

Re: can we use the beamColumnJoint element into structure?

Post by fmk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am

it can, all it is doing is adding a bunch of spring elements and nodes. anytime you add springs you effect the period. typically people increase the initial stiffness of the spring to get the elastic period correct. in theory as spring is of 0 length, the initial stiffness would be infinity (however large numbers tend to mess up numerical routines on a computer, people typically make big enough to get a similar period to the elastic structure)

Zareian, F., Medina, R. A practical Method for Proper Modeling of Structural Damping in Inelastic Plane Structural Systems. Computers and Structures, 0045-7949.

leaves

Post by leaves » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 pm

thank you fmk
for checking the problem,i built a two layer three-span concrete structure and use the beamColumnJoint element only in the joint 22(the second floor and bay), then shows:Maximum number of iteration reached the period is too big.
then i abandon the element ,the period is ok . what confused me is that eventhough i use the beamColumnJoint element , the reversed cyclic analysis is ok but engin or dynamic analysis failed. at last .i substitute the beamColumnJoint for joint2D with the same pinching4 material, engin and dynamic analysis succeed. then i wander whether the beamColumnJoint element can be used in the structure for dynamic analysis.
as you said it can, i think the problem is barslip materials i have defined. i will check it ,thank you!

xieyifan

Post by xieyifan » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:35 am

did you solve the problems yet?