Flat Slider Bearing Element

Forum for OpenSees users to post questions, comments, etc. on the use of the OpenSees interpreter, OpenSees.exe

Moderators: silvia, selimgunay, Moderators

wilberk

Flat Slider Bearing Element

Post by wilberk » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 am

Hi, I am trying to solve a friction problem with this element, but I have a problem when I want to calibrate the behaviour of it based on a pushover analysis. When I use the integrator Displacement control Opensees shows me the message:

WARNING DisplacementControl::domainChanged() - zero reference loadStaticAnalysis::setAlgorithm() - Integrator::domainChanged() failedStaticAnalysis::analyze() - domainChanged failed at step 0 of 1
OpenSees > analyze failed, returned: -1 error flag

I don't know if it is possible to run an analysis based on displacement for this element?

Thanks for the attention,

Wilson Torres

fmk
Site Admin

Re: Flat Slider Bearing Element

Post by fmk » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 am

it is possible to use the element .. you just have to know what displacement control is before you use it .. i suggest look look online for a little theory .. you will find that displacement control needs some load to be applied to the structure (a reference load) in order to determine how much to increment this load by in order to obtain the displacement increment you are requesting.

wilberk

Post by wilberk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Thank you for your response.

Related to this element, I am trying to solve a problem of friction between rigid elements based on the use of Flat slider bearing elements in the interface zone. But I have the problem that this element needs a flexural constitutive law, and in the interface there is not a flexural resistance in one point, the structure must resist by a couple of springs in each interface line. I have tried lower values of flexural stiffness but the eigenvalues of the structure are very high.

Is it possible that this element can be used for this purpose? Or, Do you know if there is any element that couples the vertical and horizontal DOF between two nodes, as Mohr Coulomb's law? (without flexural stiffness).

Thanks again,

Wilson Torres

blekalemi

Post by blekalemi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 am

HI Wilson,

Did you solve this problem?
I also want to model the friction between a tank and the rigid base using flat slider bearing with 0 length but the results are depending from the stiffness.
If i use very high stiffness there will be no sliding at all.

How did you solved it?

Thanks
Bledar Kalemi.

wilberk

Post by wilberk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Blader, no, I can not solve my problem.

Regards,

Wilson